Friday, January 10, 2014

A Little Bone Structure

The chop and drop of the tall flower meadow has begun. Rain was in the diagnosis so I opted out of burning more piles of rubbish. This would keep me outside and busy until the rains begin. Turns out I could have had a fire.

Siberolina ended as quickly as it rushed in. An above freezing night and a fifty degree day removed all the snow.





















It isn't necessary to chop down the tall flower meadow right now. It could wait another month. It is better though for me to keep moving and get things done when I can. I have a lot of ground to cover.

The big haircut changes the feel of the garden. The little bit of bone structure in a baby garden is further revealed. It's like having a new garden for the second half of winter.





















The baby evergreens standout. The grasses are being left for now. Even dried they add structure to the winter garden.





















A garden is taking shape beneath the wild embrace of the tall flower meadow. The under garden will keep me interested in going outside through the winter.

I chopped down about half an acre today. I have about two and a half more acres to go.





















The first snowdrops have appeared. That means the daffodils will start popping up in another month. I like to get the chop and drop done before the daffodils really get going. There is less chance of accidents when they are just nubs breaking the surface.





















As weather permits there are plenty of things to keep me busy in the wild cultivated gardens all winter long.

8 comments:

Lola said...

I'm so glad you can keep busy during the winter. So much to do.

Rebecca said...

Snowdrops? Daffodils? Already?
I can't wait for daylight to see how much snow the rain has melted here. It's going to take awhile for the 5' tall piles of snow fashioned in haste as drives and sidewalks were cleared to melt...
Lots of fog. Potential for flooding here.
There will be no chop and drop happening here today.

Sallysmom said...

I have summer snowflakes and haven't seen a sign of them yet. However, I am seeing lots of daffodils coming up. Did you get the daffs treated for that bug last year?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I think It is safe to say I will be kept busy until the end which is a good thing.

Rebecca the snowdrops are always up and blooming on sunny days by mid January. The first daffodils bloom about the first of March. They start popping up around the first of February.

Sallysmom we did treat all the daffodils with a rose fertilizer/systemic insecticide when they were done blooming last year. I plan to do it again this year. I think the poor bloom was more weather related. That just led to the discovery of the bulb fly.

Swimray said...

I know what you mean about structure in winter. My garden has very little. This winter I left some hosta seed stalks and castor bean stalks standing. It helps.
Ray

Christopher C. NC said...

Swimray it only took one winter here for me to know winter interest in the garden was a priority. The deciduous forest is barren for almost six months of the year. Too much down time for a garden.

Gail said...

You're right to get that chopping down before the dafs show up...Must start chopping here!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I must get out to see if my snowdrops are showing. I haven't seen them yet. It has warmed up quite a bit. Hate to see the tall grasses go. It is time.