Thursday, April 3, 2014

In The Course Of My Day

I leave home in the morning to go tend gardens that more often than not are filled with flowers all season long.

















I come home to a garden that has many flowers all season long that are not often found in the gardens I tend. We have to look again while the Oconee bell is blooming.





















Sometimes I get home early enough to squeeze in a chore before supper. I started tidying the roadside vegetable garden last week to get it ready for the first sowing. Then it snowed and the first sowing was cancelled.

Today all the dead remnants of the front row of perennial wildflowers that had been raked into piles were dry enough for a burning. I burned that up then gave the posts of the rickety split rail fence a straightening and lifted a lot of the rails. After a long winter of snow getting plowed against the fence it struggles to cling to the status of a fence.

I don't hate this fence. It's rustic character has a certain charm. It's old bailing wire construction and half rotten posts is another matter. One day it must be replaced.





















I have a vague plan. I want to assert more control over what grows in the wild flower strip between the fence and the vegetable garden. It was dominated by goldenrod and marjoram gone wild and had a short single late season bloom. I want more color and more bloom over a longer period. Once it turns green I'll spray it, saving the good stuff, then plant more. I'll have to try poppies again.





















After supper it's time for a stroll in the ridge top garden next door. What will be blooming today?





















The minor bulbs are getting more numerous every year.

















And in many more places.





















And several days of a touch too warm really, have opened hundreds of daffodils.

















That's pretty much an average day for me.

3 comments:

Sallysmom said...

I love that old fence. Did your dad build it?

Lola said...

I too love that old fence. I had a split rail one. Always loved them. That's a full day for you.

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes Sallysmom, my dad wired that fence together.

Lola I don't hate the fence or love it. Maybe new posts would make me happy. It's always a full day when the weather permits.