Saturday, April 12, 2014

In The Wild Cultivated Gardens

My main chore for the day was laundry and house cleaning. That wasn't enough to keep me confined inside on such a beautiful day. Several odd outside jobs were also tended to. Relaxing strolls through the garden are just part of a a normal day.

Grape hyacinth are blooming.





















Ever more daffodils open to warm sunny days.





















This is what nature gives the garden when I edit out the thugs. This big patch of Bloodroot is in the garden becoming.





















I even had a spare half hour to begin editing out my nemesis the Clematis virginiana on the slope below the roadside vegetable garden. When I remove this thuggish vine, the wild flowers fill in behind me.





















Next door Bulbhilla is in peak bloom. This isn't the best year ever, but it is a huge improvement over last year's meager display.





















Thousands and thousands of daffodils sprinkled with copious quantities of scilla, pushkinia and chionodoxa.





















I am double flagging clumps of bulbs I want when the dividing begins. Fall digging is giving way to post bloom digging. This way the gardener can see where infill is needed.





















Bulbarella is in her garden every day, multiple times per day now.





















Until it gets too dark to see.


4 comments:

Dianne said...

I like all your pictures, but that sunset....wow! I took one yesterday, but it did not turn out like yours!

Sallysmom said...

Are you planning to treat the daffodils again this year?

Christopher C. NC said...

Dianne I have found the trick to sunset pictures is to aim the camera slightly up. This avoids the bleaching glare of the sun when the camera is aimed straight at it.

Sallysmom, yes we plan to do the fertilizer/systemic pesticide application after bloom again this year. I think it is an Ortho product labeled for roses.

Lola said...

A "wow" factor for sure.