Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Little Things

I finally moved the Japanese Forest Grass, Hakonechloa macra, I bought five years ago to a sunnier location a few weeks ago when I saw it beginning to stir. This grass is supposed to grow in the shade. I have high quality shade and for five years it sat there and did nothing. The best I can say is that one of the two survived.

I think a lot of plants listed for shade really only tolerate it. They would do better with more sun. That is more true at my elevation where cool is the rule even in full sun. I don't need to worry about plants over heating up here.





















The yellow trillium I bought has returned. Return is good. Multiplication is better.



























Spring Beauties gather at the base of daffodils. The native spring ephemeral wild flowers are tiny little things.



























Daffodils are giants by comparison.





















Should I go dig some Bloodroot to add to the south side of the garden becoming? It is already present in good numbers in the NW section. It can't hurt to relocate some more. Might as well.





















High on the low spot tiny little things are pushing through the leaf litter. They bloom quick and fade away before the tall Lush takes hold. I must look odd to the passersby on the scenic byway, a man with his nose pressed to the ground.


4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have a "thing" for short, succinct statements. I think you could fill a gardening book with them! Today I especially like THIS one--"Return is good. Multiplication is better."

I find myself ruing the March slip on ice that is preventing me from my annual trek to N.C. Thankful for the vicarious viewing of wild flowers via your posts...

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is indeed a good thing. Move those plants around. Spring beauties, bloodroot, Dutchman's Breeches are all blooming here now.

beverly said...

I found out firsthand that you are correct about shade plants and sun, when I had to establish a new shade garden at a rental house in March and didn't realize it would be a sun garden by June. The plants all grew much faster and flowered better, but they were pretty well burned by the end of the summer. Thus it is a double-edged sword. Hakonechloa doesn't like it dry, either.

Lola said...

Things fry here during summer. Early Spring is best for temps. Sure wish I had more time for things. I'm Slow. lol