Friday, April 4, 2014

Spring Thievery

Buds are breaking. Trees are blooming. Spring is in full swing down below.





















In places the burst of color is beyond dramatic.





















In places I tend.





















I stumbled upon two steep hillsides that are vacant lots or common area that were covered with thousands of Trout Lilies, Erythronium americanum, in my tending today. Thousands I tell you. I had to have some.





















I dug up a big sack full and relocated them to three different gardens that did not have the native Trout Lily. Now they do. They grow from a small bulb so I expect they should transplant well even if the tops die back sooner than normal.

I planted mine in three different locations in the garden becoming. The garden is well on its way to having a very strong native spring wild flower display. I may relocate some Anemone acutiloba over here tomorrow.



























I see no reason not to have the native spring wild flowers mixed in with the bulbs.





















More is better. More leads to abundance.

7 comments:

Lola said...

Looking good at work kinda work & at home too.

Danna said...

Now that's a burst of Spring!
What are the blue/purple babies (by your daffodils) in the last frame?....too early for wild geraniums, Geranium maculatum, isn't it?

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have a few natives too. They work beautifully into the garden.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola the gardens I tend are looking pretty good.

Danna the blue in the last picture is one of the minor bulbs, chionodoxa. Definitely too early for Geranium maculatum.

Lisa in the bigger picture of the mountain top we have tons of natives. I'm just organizing them to places where they are more visible.

Jane said...

I love your gardening style! It is going to be fabulous. I love "planting" through your eyes.

Christopher C. NC said...

Thank you Jane. The wild cultivated gardens are full of exuberant chaos. My style in my own garden does lean toward the chaotic.

Gail said...

I work bulbs into my native garden~They do look pretty!