Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The First Hint Of Abundance

The light fades at the end of another warm spring day. A patch of vibrant yellow daffodils becomes a beacon in the dim barren forest. Something grows here.





















With each warm day, that bright promise of life grows stronger.





















But there is much more than what thousands of yellow daffodils can herald. Just come close and look. The native Oconee Bell has its first flowers in its new home.






















Other bright colors welcome you to enter the forest.






















To find masses of the minor bulbs. The deep blue of chionodoxa.






















Or the palest of blues in the puschkinia.






















There are pink Trout Lilies to be found when you enter the forest and look close.




















All this and more as each day passes, mingled in with 10,000 daffodils.



























The abundance is returning.

7 comments:

Barry said...

Oh, what a beautiful sight! It's been a while since I've been able to see your pictures, since I had been struggling to send my tax stuff to the wizard, but my satellite internet link kept quitting just at the worst time. I must have reset and rebooted a thousand times, but "Exede" said I had a good connection. Finally, they relented and sent a tech, who promptly found a waterlogged transponder. Presto Change-O and it's peachy-keen. My tax guy is almost happy, and I am gorging on missed posts for a too-long time! Your flowers are dazzling!

Christopher C. NC said...

What fun. Taxes and bad technology. Glad you made it to the other side Barry.

Danna said...

Yes...a beautiful sight indeed! Being a somewhat impatient person, I decided to go back a year or two and look at your past woodland garden photos from May and June (my favorite NC months). Now I know what's coming...can't wait to see your babies unfolding and blossoming! (I have some specific plants to ask you about at a later date.)

Carol McKenzie said...

Happily enjoying your photos of the daffodils. I intend to plant as many bulbs as I can this fall, along with minor bulbs near the house, and am looking forward to a year from now, when I'll have my own drifts of yellow, albeit much smaller ones.

Lola said...

I enjoy all this beauty. Yours is spectacular.

Christopher C. NC said...

Danna what is coming over the next six months of the time of vegetation is abundance on steroids.

Carol Bulbarella started with one sack of bulbs. She has been at it for a couple decades now.

Lola it is spectacular. And each year is a bit of mystery as to what will have a truly good year.

Carol McKenzie said...

I figure I have roughly three decades to devote to planting bulbs on this land. I think I'll start with the slopes first, save the less challenging spots for when I grow up.