Monday, June 2, 2014

All Sins Are Forgiven

Yesterday there was weed whacking, a whole lot of weed whacking. I estimated once that if you add them all up, we have close to a mile of paths in the wild cultivated gardens and that was before I had paths of my own and the Great Lawn.





















One thing is certain, the simple order of mowed paths makes a world of difference in the garden. What was once a disaster becomes completely delightful.





















The garden is transformed and beckons you to enter. The weeds seem to disappear.





















The cultivated begins to stand out.



























I still see plenty weeds of course, but it is a little easier to just walk on by.





















I have been doing good with spending an hour after dinner each evening weeding in the ridge top garden. A lot of progress has been made. I take a section divided by the paths and weed that section until it is done. The next day I do another section.





















The removal of the froze to the ground Deutzias revealed a mystery shrub. I searched online and ID'd it as Beauty Bush, Kolkwitzia amabilis.



























Miss Dinah is enjoying the freshly mowed paths.





















I finished off the the first haircut of the Great Lawn too. Some trilliums were lost in the process. I waited as long as I could. Hopefully they had enough growing time to replenish the bulb.

Trilliums were not the only casualties from weed whacking. All kinds of nice wild flowers are lost in the process. But it must be done. A garden full of wild flowers is being born. Soon it will be full of visitors and if just one of them thinks, Hey I don't need to mow the whole place. I can just make paths through the Lush. Then the sacrifice will have been worth it.

There will be another mowing before then, possibly two. The paths will be cleared for the garden tour and all sins in the garden can be forgiven.





















The Black iris will be gone by then, but something will be blooming.


3 comments:

Danna said...

When I Googled images of"Appalachian Woodland Garden Paths" I saw few that were as lovely as your paths. The garden tour folks will love it. I'm searching for ideas to enhance my little piece of property into a deciduous woodland garden with winding paths near my stream...."my secret garden".

Rebecca said...

Oh! Oh! Oh!

Lola said...

It's gorgeous. The tour will be a big hit. It's amazing how the paths liven up a garden.