Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Last Minute Puttering

I was home early from the Posh Estate today because I am literally running out of weeds to pull. So I got started on the final mowing of the paths in the wild cultivated gardens. I'll finish it up tomorrow. I don't think it will take long. They barely need mowing.





















So I putter and meander and edit at a snail's pace. At this point I don't want to do any major assault editing. That generally involves stompage. We don't want stompage for the tour.

The Louisiana iris 'Black Gamecock' is now in bloom. There might be a flower or two of this on tour day. I'm only getting a couple bloom spikes and iris only last about two days.





















There may be some lily remnants in another three days.





















This is a better picture of the true velvety purple color of 'Black Gamecock'.





















My weeds ..... er wild flowers .... however are getting showier by the day. There will be lots of weed flowers for tour day.





















I did do one last minute adjustment. The benches on the Great Lawn have never been level and were not very comfortable to sit on. That is a problem when the ground is far from level. One end of both benches had to be sunk further into the ground. Now they appear uneven and sit just right.





















The Indian Pink, Spigelia marilandica has a great flower. I'm glad I found it. I hope it likes it here and gets way bigger. You never know about these things until after they come up the following spring.





















Two more days to show time and I am puttering around. I should be able to do a little house cleaning. Maybe.

5 comments:

Lola said...

I like the outside better. Hate that house work deal but will do it when necessary. I like to putter.

Rebecca said...

Just when I despair of EVER learning the names of flowers I admire, you throw another one in my direction--Indian Pink, Spigelia marilandica!

Don't wear yourself out with that house cleaning. Store up your energy for your garden tour hosting :)

Danna said...

What an interesting way to level your garden benches. At first they appear to be made of stone....then realized it must be wood.

Sallysmom said...

My Indian Pink is the exact same size as it was 2 years ago when I planted. However, it did have a bloom on each plant. I wish I knew what to do to coax it to increasing. But I live deep in zone 8b hot and humid so maybe that's what it is.

beverly said...

Best of luck on your tour; I know it will be spectacular.