Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The 2014 Haywood County Master Gardener Tour

Something will be blooming.

I've been getting visits to the blog on searches for the Haywood County Master Gardener Tour. I have blogged it in the past. That is how they end up at Outside Clyde. What people want to know I'm sure is when is this year's tour.



























Here you go. This year's Haywood County Master Gardener Tour is on Saturday, June 21st, 9am to 4pm. Rain or Shine. Partly cloudy with a gentle breeze and a high of 75 would be my preferred conditions.

The tour begins at the NC Mountain Research Station at 589 Raccoon Rd in Waynesville. You can buy tickets there and then pick up directions to all the gardens on this year's tour. For more info call the NC Cooperative Extension at 828-456-3575.



























There are five gardens on this year's tour, three extensive private gardens - two I am quite familiar with. Extensive is an apt description, possibly an understatement - a perennial garden maintained by church volunteers, and an elementary school teaching garden.

Something is bound to be blooming in one of those gardens.





















The gardens are spread from one side of the county to the actual county line on the other. Between the extensive private gardens and the drive, this will be an all day event if you want to see them all.

It is not in the least bit unusual for a private guided tour of the Wild Cultivated Gardens to take up to two hours. That's just one garden on the tour, though it's actually a twofer with the side by side converging gardens of mother and son.





















Something will be blooming. Next week I may have a better idea of what that might be.



























This is the native wild flower Houstonia purpurea. It has quite a long bloom time over the summer and there is plenty of it in my half of the Wild Cultivated Gardens.





















The Posh Estate is the other garden on the tour I know quite well. I do a bit of gardening there. If you want to see what excellent taste and design ideas combined with a healthy budget and a knowledgeable gardener can accomplish in a few short years than this garden must not be missed. I know there will be plenty of blooms in this garden.

You might even be a bit perplexed that the same gardener tends such dramatically different gardens as the Posh Estate and the Wild Cultivated Gardens.





















The Black iris won't be blooming, but plenty other somethings will be in bloom.



























So don't miss it. Saturday June 21st, the Haywood County Master Gardener Tour. See you here. You could end up at Outside Clyde in reality.


5 comments:

beverly said...

Wish I could be there! I actually had tentative plans to visit on my way to Atlanta this year, but my newish puppy is not yet fit to travel. Hope you are on the tour again next year, and I am sure something will be blooming! (:

Danna said...

Can't wait to see your wild cultivated gardens! Hope your weather preferences come true.
See you on the 21st!! :-)

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev you can come visit anytime.

Danna I look forward to meeting you.

beverly said...

No hounds in the winter from hell, eh? Maybe even those hunters weren't that mean.

Christopher C. NC said...

That's a bit of a tangent Bev. Nope. No dumped hounds this past winter. Only one treeing incident below my mother's deck. The hunters were already at her driveway when I went over to shoo the hounds away.