Tuesday, June 24, 2014

What Have We Here

I may have been slightly confused when I woke up Sunday morning after the tour. There were no paths to mow, no weeds to pull. There was no where I needed to go until late afternoon and nothing that needed doing. What was I supposed to do?

I wandered aimlessly through the gardens to see how they fared - just fine, not a single dent or scratch - and watered a few of my new plants since it had not rained up here all week. Now what?

It's on those kind rare days that I am apt to wander into the deep forest to see what I might see. I saw things, a Showy Orchis I had never seen several feet outside the cages. Hmmm?

Then I wandered across this patch of lily looking things. I am going to guess this is the Speckled Wood Lily, Clintonia umbellulata.

I'll need to return with a shovel. I'll need some in the garden where they can be seen by more people. I may even need to move an orchid.





















The gardens bloomed on, promising a much bigger show in another week to ten days that no one on the MG garden tour got to see. I'll see it.



























Perhaps there will be others who see it. On Monday we had visitors from Austin, Vicki of Playin Outside and her husband Steven came to Asheville for the week because she hasn't stopped talking about it since her visit with the Garden Bloggers Fling in 2012. It's always nice when a friend comes to visit the gardens again.

On Thursday there will be another visitor, Janet Manning the director of horticulture for the Corneille Bryan Native Garden in Lake Junaluska. She was directed here by the one of the Master Gardeners. I look forward to this visit. It could prove interesting. I don't really know what she has been told about the wild cultivated gardens.



























I am settling back in to my regular work routine. When I stroll the garden now I contemplate my next ruthless editing out of the New England Aster before it has a chance to bloom. That will involve some stompage so I am giving it a week or two for all those folks who said they wanted to come to get here while it is still show ready. That won't last long in the wild cultivated gardens.

2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to have the garden up to snuff, even if for just a few days. You can relax and enjoy it. You deserve to rest now that the big push is over. Have fun and enjoy.

Danna said...

Tell Janet I said hello. She was going to give me some woodland garden ideas, but we ran out of time. With your and Janet's ideas and suggestions, my little space may become a mini-WG. :)