Friday, July 11, 2014

Dung Hill Squash

I ran out of room when I was planting the roadside vegetable garden this year. It is a good thing I did not try to stuff more things in like I normally would have. The vegetables have gone bonkers on last fall's application of hobby farm dung. There is no extra room at all. Most of the in between the rows has even vanished.





















But when life gives you crap the best thing to do is keep on gardening. So I did.





















All the extra squash seedlings got planted on the dung piles. And the squash are having a very good year so far. They are setting a lot of fruit and that isn't always the case for one reason or another.

Still, I can't seem to get a single pumpkin to set despite the raging vines. I'll have to research the problem.





















 Meanwhile out in the sunny Lush more and more species of flowers are coming into bloom.



























The daylilies are currently the main show.





















The self seeding sunflowers in the roadside vegetable garden have started to open. Even they are extra big this year. I will definitely be putting more composted poop on the garden this fall.





















I'm too lazy to look for the tag for this late blooming azalea. This is the first year the two of them have bloomed well. I do remember buying them because the bloom was listed as late June to July and that they are on the small size shrub wise.

The tag just did not mention it would take them another five years to bloom again after I planted them in the garden.























Out by the roadside wild things mingle with the daylilies and spill over the rickety split rail fence that separates the vegetable garden from the byway. We try to make things pretty for the travelars.

The vegetable garden is very well hidden behind the Lush. Only the regular local traffic may know what is hiding behind all those blooming weeds.


3 comments:

Danna said...

Your squash should be fabulous and prolific. Need any good squash recipes?...let me know.

Lola said...

Sure wish I could get squash to make here. With spraying done I don't have pollinators. Big change from when I first moved here.

Sallysmom said...

Could that be one of the Gumpo azaleas?