Friday, August 1, 2014

Without The Clematis Vine

I'd like to think the battle is won. It isn't. I still find stray wisps of the clematis vine rising through the Lush. The assault began a good four years ago in the garden becoming. Up until then it had only been indifferent weeding.





















After those four years of concentrated eradication, a garden finally appeared this spring, unencumbered by the spreading tentacles of the annoying vine. Yet it is still here, small and hiding, waiting to be ignored for a bit too long. It is massed at the borders in places ready to spread seed and to reach in if I let it.





















Once the garden becoming was relatively clematis free, I headed east into the roadside vegetable garden and sunny utility meadow. Both were infested.





















There was hope. I saw the change that was occurring in the garden becoming. I saw it awake this spring fully changed, now a garden.





















If dedicated editing could change my tall flower meadow, it could certainly do it to the rest of the utility easement.





















It just wasn't a small task by any means.



























Clematis virginiana has roots like steel cable and will root at any node that touches the ground.





















To win, it must be removed by the root. No piece of the crown can be left.





















I starting major editing in the east end of things three years ago and already I am seeing the change. There is a lot more blooming going on.



























Plants once hidden have been revealed.

I have discovered the best time of attack is mid April into May when the clematis is just beginning to sprout. I can find it and follow the vine to the root much easier before the meadow begins its major growth. The trampling involved is easier to recover from in this very early stage of things.

I know where the big patches of it still are. Those will be attacked next spring. Scouting and maintenance editing throughout will continue - indefintely.

Without the clematis vine tying the whole thing into an inscrutable hairball, a more garden like, more floriferous meadow appears.





















Much the same is happening in the ridge top garden with the elimination of the Lamium galeobdolon. Beebalm that has not been seen in years has returned once the mat of lamium was killed off.





















They will always be wild gardens. I don't have enough time or energy to change that. By choosing what to battle carefully and sticking with it, I can change things in the garden significantly.


4 comments:

Lola said...

Your changes are quite pretty. Love those wild flowers.

Rebecca said...

You're obviously doing MANY things right! The Lush just gets better and better!

beverly said...

So you basically dig the clematis out with a shovel wherever you find the roots?

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev I use my little Cobra Head hand weeder to cut, pry and pull it out by the roots.