Sunday, September 7, 2014

Before The Grasses Bloom

I don't keep garden records. Instead, the rhythm of the seasons is slowly seeping into my knowing. I know it is getting late and it seems like the grasses should be blooming by now.

But what do I know? Every year the timing of things is slightly different by one to several weeks. Add in a faulty memory of time and the idea of keeping garden records becomes fairly reasonable.





















This blog is more ramblings than proper records, but it can be searched for clues as to when the grasses normally bloom....if I felt an urgent need for it. I don't. The slow seeping in of knowing is more my style.

One clump of Miscanthus 'Morning Light'  has sent up a few bloom spikes and when I look close I can see the stalks rising. The grasses will be blooming soon.





















I am satisfied in the mean time.





















Several new species of grass were added to the tall flower meadow in the last year. Clumps of the Feather Reed Grass were divided and spread around. They are still getting established in their first year. They may bloom a bit now. The substance that the grasses provide will come in later years as these new plants mature.





















From one small plant I have divided my way to the repetition of a strong contrasting element to the existing herbaceous wild flowers. Now that contrasting element is being repeated in other heights and colors. Every new season will be slightly different.





















It is getting late and the grasses will be blooming soon.


4 comments:

Lola said...

Love those grasses. My "Shenandoah" is blooming. I have it in a whiskey barrel.

Christopher C. NC said...

I've been making progress adding more Lola, even in the east side sunny utility meadow.

Danna said...

Do you have a favorite low growing, easy to manage ground cover? I'm fond of Pachysandra and Ajuga reptans and Vinca minor.
Do you have an opinion on these?

Christopher C. NC said...

Danna, Pachysandra is not overly aggressive. Ajuga is unreliable. It can die off and reappear elsewhere. Vinca blooms better with more sun.