Friday, September 26, 2014

Pe'a lele With Pumpkins

It gives me great pleasure to come home - to a sight like this the second I pull into the drive. It is wildness untended after a day of manicuring. The shorter days means the sun may already be low enough to set the grasses alight.





















I had to coax a client today into letting the wild Frost Aster remain in her flower bed. What is that she asked? Is it pretty, I replied? Well yes, but it looks out of place. It would be better in the center.

I told her it was a native perennial Frost Aster. She let it stay. Then she asked me about planting milkweed for the Monarchs.

I don't really care where my Frost Asters are. There is no center of the bed.





















I fondled my pumpkins yesterday and discovered one of them had mange from setting too long in the same position in the dung. I guess it is important to rotate your pumpkins as they grow. I went ahead and harvested five of them.

There is one more big orange one and four more yellow ones still growing on the vine. The vine keeps trying to set more, but I think time is running out.





















I got five big pumpkins from the dung piles and five big pots of dried up variegated Feather Reed Grass at the discard rack. I brought them home, gave them a haircut and several long drinks of water. The remnant green blades have already started to grow. I think they will live.

They will probably spend the winter out of the pots and heeled into the dung piles. I don't feel like disturbing the Lush now to plant them and next spring after they wake up I can divide them to make more.





















Pe'a lele is ready. On Sunday, my one day off, I will climb high in a tree and attached the bracket to the tree that the branch in his right hand slips into. He will be climbing the tree and looking back towards the scenic byway to taunt the travelers passing by.

Think twice before trespassing. Kapu.



























An enchanted meadow where the spirits dwell.





















The question is, of what sort?





















It's late September in the Tall Flower Meadow. You'll have to wander in there to find out.


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

"There IS no center of the bed"! Once again, a phrase jumps out of your post and begs to be preserved...This might be high on the list of the Top Ten Secrets of the Lush!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Pe'a lele is going to keep watch on all the spirits of the lush. I am sure there are differing forces out there. All will now be held accountable.