Sunday, October 5, 2014

Mum Before A Freeze

It happened. This morning there was the first very light frost at 33 degrees. I took pictures of the mums yesterday just in case.





















The mums are a hardy lot. I wasn't really worried. There was nothing to do anyway. Gardy don't baby the garden.





















I certainly couldn't cover all the blue asters.



























It is time for the Lush to recede back into the earth.





















Now it is the forests turn to shine. We wait. It is still predominantly green.



























After it warmed a bit above my minimum operating temperature. I started my planned chores for the day. I harvested a few Butternut Squash.





















Dug the last of the potatoes.





















And finished weeding and cleaning the roadside vegetable garden. That green fuzz is germinating dill and the mache, which is a green I can harvest all winter.

There will be another round of emptying the vegetable garden after the killing frosts. Then it will be time for dung and a fresh layer of wood chip mulch.





















It was a beautiful sunny day in the garden. While I was busy one car pulled a bit down my drive and stopped to take a picture of my house. When I went to see who it was, they said we hope it's alright. We want to build something like this. I said it was fine. I am used to being a roadside attraction.

A bit later a neighbor stopped to say hello. She left with some peppers and butternut squash.

It was a beautiful day in the garden.


1 comment:

Lola said...

Beautiful days, all coming to an end I'm afraid. Enjoy while it's here.