Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Garden Under There

Just two months ago this was the scene for the photo that is the current header of the blog. My how times have changed.

Yea, yea. I'm supposed to leave it all standing for the wildlife benefits, but the chop and drop has already begun. I want to find the under garden that will carry me through the winter. The wildlife has plenty of meadow left and it will take me all winter to chop it all down.





















Just maybe I will get to spreading 12 tons of 3/4 inch gravel in the basement patio this winter. That can be the temporary floor and is the base for the future stone floor. I just need the money to buy the gravel and a snow free driveway to get it delivered.





















The wall and its grottoes have been complete for a while now. It still needs the small rock back splash finished above. I do rocks in the winter when the rocks I have been piling in places while gardening are easier to find.



















I needed some satisfaction of accomplishment now though. I got home a little early today and the next round of snow is scheduled to begin tonight. I got busy while there was a chance with a little more chop and a dose of tidy as opposed to just drop.

The Cotoneaster 'Streib's Findling' is a flat as can be evergreen ground cover that hides beneath the Joe Pye during the season of vegetation. I need it in the winter. I even raked the leaves off of it.





















See there is a baby garden hiding under there. It even has some good hardscape bone structure. All it takes is some normal garden maintenance to find it. I feel so much better now. Winter can be the time of a some what tidy garden in all this wildness.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hope you are able to relax enjoy the small garden beginnings and be thankful that you are so healthy and able to create all these beautiful places on the mountain side.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I was feeling thankful just this morning because I was feeling peppy and had a snow day that wasn't a complete shut out/shut in and was able to tidy up a whole bunch of things. I'm not sure that's exactly what you intended, but I was thankful.