Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Evergreen Progress

I have to look at the Under Garden while I can. It may be gone again by next weekend.





















Progress is being made on my evergreen winter interest. One day those two evergreens in the foreground are supposed to be trees.





















Quite a few varieties of evergreens have been planted on the slope below the scenic byway. Some trees. Some shrubs. Some bamboo. They are all slow, slow, slow to grow.





















Don't ask me why, but the deciduous trees and shrubs grow twice as fast as the evergreens. My newly planted Stewartia pseudocamellia is in the foreground. I hope it does well here and grows as fast as the Heptacodium miconioides. That had a pretty nice bloom this summer.





















There are evergreens at the bottom of the Great Lawn to mark the property boundary. These are the native Leucothoe fontanesiana or Dog Hobble. I'd need a whole lot more to actually keep the hounds out.





















The evergreens do grow. The larger Blue Star junipers are three or four years older than the smaller ones. The 'Emerald Spreader' creeping yews are still in a sit and sulk kind of phase. I am already beginning to wonder if they are going to reject my elevation. They are rated to zone 4 which means nothing to me now that I have lost zone 3 plants to the cold.





















There was a suggestion for a dash of snow tonight. It sure is acting like snow is on the way. The last bit of light peaks through the low dark rolling clouds as the temperature fades away.

It was nice to see the Under garden again and the progress I have been making.


1 comment:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Gosh, is that sunshine in that last photo? I haven't seen sun in 3 weeks. I have forgotten what it looked like. I hope your little greenies start growing by leaps and bounds in the coming year.