Friday, December 5, 2014

Further Contemplation

I shouldn't give it a moment's thought, but I do. What do the passersby on the scenic byway see and think when the vision of a cozy cabin tucked in the forest is revealed in the barren time of winter?

The local traffic may wait in anticipation the entire season of vegetation to see what new things will be revealed. There has a been a constant state of change from the beginning.

For one time travelers passing by, the experience is completely fresh. What thoughts run through their minds?





















There is more than the cozy cabin. The earth itself is a visible canvas when viewed from above along the scenic byway. A painting is meant to draw the eye. A sculpture has silent words to say. With plant and stone I draw into the earth.





















What do they think when they see it? I don't know. What do I want to say? I'm not sure.

I want what is seen to be pleasing. I want it to be unsettling. I want them to be amused and inspired, to be baffled and incredulous. If my destiny is to be a roadside attraction I want the view to suck them in and make them wonder.

I want to be immersed in a living, breathing, three dimensional work of art created in direct collaboration with the multiple forces of nature. An evolutionary act of creation in an age of destruction.

I want a garden to do and be all that and to share it with the world that is passing me by.


4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Surely you are succeeding in attaining your "wishes/wants".... I have yet to make my first "pilgrimage" to your roadside attraction, so I can't weigh in with first-hand impressions, but I'm betting few miss the enchantment of the canvas on which you are creating such all-season splendor...

Christopher C. NC said...

I do see cars come to a full stop up there often enough. I've caught people taking pictures and a few have stopped to say hello, so some people are noticing it seems.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I think some will wonder what that swath of green is this time of year. And those dots of yellow on the hillside...what are they?? :)

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa the yellow dots are the Yucca filamentosa 'Color Guard'. I just did a post on them.