Sunday, January 25, 2015

Dung On A Sunny Day

The sun came out. The temperature went up. Most of the snow melted on my side of the scenic byway.



























It was a day not to be wasted. Once the melt had a good start I dove into my pile of finished dung. I have a roadside vegetable garden to get ready for spring.

I'm not sure where or if I will be able to find any tree trimmer's wood chips. I may just end of using bagged mulch from the big box store. That will work just fine as a mulch and it decomposes too. It just isn't free. I like free.

I could just weed more, but I am too lazy busy for that.





















'Diane' is aiming for full bloom. Winter is aiming to return for the entire week starting again tonight. The Witch Hazels won't mind. They have proven how durable they are at -5 degrees.





















Will the real 'Diane' please speak up. This one is red, red, pure red.




















This one is a dull red with orange red. It certainly isn't 'Jelena'. Who could it be? I guess I'll have to go looking.

Well, Monrovia's picture of 'Diane' from where these came looks nothing at all like either of mine. It will have to remain a mystery of clonal variability for now.





















The Witch Hazels are pretty. They bloom in the barren time. They bloom before, during and after the snow and are unfazed by the cold. They are proving to have a long bloom period. The fall leaf color is supposed to be nice. Do I really care what the cultivar name is?

We may need more. I think they would look nice by the chimney. I am up here all winter after all and do wander the entire wild cultivated gardens. It can't hurt to spread the pretty.





















The Under Garden came back out today. I shouldn't forget about it in my thrills over the Witch Hazels. It is far more visible from the scenic byway, for now at least. I want to add more this spring when my favorite nursery is back up and running. With what I am not sure. Something will strike my fancy.





















High on the low spot it was a nice sunny day with dung.


5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your veggie garden looks ready.

Christopher C. NC said...

It's getting ready Lisa. I have several more rows to dung and it needs a new layer of mulch. I may get that done before the first sowing on St. Patrick's Day*

* weather depending

Swimray said...

So now that the snow is gone, you planting any cold season crops, or waiting for last front date for others?
Ray

Swimray said...

Oops, just saw your response about St Pat's Day.

Christopher C. NC said...

Swimray the snow is back. Yes weather depending I start seeding things like lettuce, carrots, chard, and spinach around St. Patrick's Day. Potatoes can go in the ground about then too. I do wait until the last frost date of mid-May before tomato, peppers, melons and what not get planted. Even that timing is weather dependent.