Monday, January 5, 2015

Is It Winter Now

There was a 20% chance of snow. No expected accumulation. I got an inch. Is it winter now? It will be this week at least. Thursday's morning low is now down to 4.





















Tomorrow is set to be the warmest day of the week. I'll wander out to check on babbling brooks and koi ponds to be sure they will make it through the cold. The rest of the week will be well below my minimum operating temperature.

The books are closed out for the year. I'm seeing taxes in my very near future. I have another little project in mind to prevent me from being completely house bound. It requires deep penetrating cold.





















I'm hoping shade and elevation will prevent all the snow from melting tomorrow. It would be nice if more snow would fall. I think my little project will look better with some snow.

Here is the less seen side of the chimney garden folly just in case.





















I saw a most beautiful photo of the chimney at Christmas, framed and given as a gift. Sister #1 has been collecting chimney pictures by seasons. Now why shouldn't I have one of my own pictures framed as art?

Now I do.





















'Jelena' made it through this first round of gentle cold unscathed. That is to be expected of a Witch Hazel. Four degrees or less is going to be the true test.





















No matter what happens I had beautiful blooms out there in the garden high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top the first week of January.

There is nothing at all wrong with that.


4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Jalena hasn't done much for my garden. I hope as she matures she does better. Your chimney picture is well done.

Sallysmom said...

Love that chimney picture.

Unknown said...

The chimney picture is perfect. Yes by all means you should have all four seasons represented a la chimney!

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa all my Witch Hazels are still tiny. They have set copious flower buds though. This is the first winter for all but one of them.

Sister #1 has been asking for those pictures for years. I said sure of course. She has beat me to the four seasons series. She told me she was printing and framing them and I never saw one in person until this Christmas. I was quite impressed and had to have one.