Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Stacked Stone Running

The first time I saw this dry stack stone wall about five years ago it was in tatters, halfway to a complete ruin. My first thought on seeing it was someone needs to re-stack this wall. I would have been happy to do it, but that wasn't what I was hired for. I was there to tend the garden.





















A long forgotten wall ran through the forest on the far boundary of several properties in a new subdivision. It had to be at least 1000 feet long. And it was settling back into the earth with geologic time. The forest was trying to rebury it. It sure would be nice if someone re-stacked it and cleaned up all the dead fall piling up on top.





















Then it began to happen. The house below where I work sold a bit more than a year ago and I noticed he was putting the wall back up along his property line. He kept at it and then he crossed above his property and kept on going. Now I was impressed.

It just makes me happy to see this old wall gain a new life.


4 comments:

Lola said...

I love those old rock fences or walls if you please. There was a rock wall at our place & I redid it. A labor of love.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is a beauty.

Sallysmom said...

Good to see someone cares about old things.

Cheryl K. said...

A lovely story on a dreary day - the photos are beautiful.