Friday, May 1, 2015

A No Kill Spring

At this point it better be. Too many things are too far along.

In at least one out of four or five springs it would be nice if the first flush of new growth on the Japanese Maples was allowed to live. They grow bigger when that happens and have a chance to recover from all those other springs.



























The lilies are way far along. I actually enjoy it when they bloom.





















This little JM is all of six inches tall and twelve inches wide. Maybe this year one branch will grow long enough for me to start training it to grow taller.





















A Red Buckeye seedling, Aesculus pavia, followed me home this week. Another seedling from the same mother plant followed me home about four years ago. I think it has grown an inch in all those years. Maybe it was a runt. Maybe it is in too much shade. I'm trying again in a sunnier location.





















The golden Dawn Redwood is leafed out. I want to see this baby get big!



























The Lush has emerged from its winter nap.





















I think I bought this yellow Cotinus seven years ago. Last year was the first time it actually grew. It has been spring froze more than once.





















The baby Curly Willow and Seven Son Flower trees are all leafed out and ready to grow. The Seven Son Flower, Heptacodium miconioides, on the left, has actually done very well up here and grown quite a bit. It leafs out early, but the new growth has been very freeze tolerant. Last year it bloomed very well.





















The Rodgersias are up.





















My one hundred and fifty foot long arc of hosta is filling in. A whole bunch of new additions were added this spring. I don't want to see them turn to mush.



























Would you believe I have killed rated to zone 3 arborvitae twice now. Killed by the cold. I just planted these a month ago and two days later it went into the 20's. Now they are toast. They must have come from a nursery down south.





















I have pretty little iris to distract me. Once they start blooming they are not fond of below freezing cold either.





















One patch of the Shredded Umbrella Leaf is almost fully plumped up.





















My poor little Witch Hazels. They bloomed like champs. Six weeks later the leaf buds broke dormancy. They started to become little shrubberies and some damn deer came along and sampled the crap out of two of them. I hope that is a one time dining experience.



























The under garden is soon to be no more for the season.





















I got my three new Picea pungens 'Globosa' planted just in time for them to disappear beneath the Lush.



























The native Aralia racemosa, Spikenard, that followed me home last year have returned. The return on the first spring is good sign of success when plants get relocated.



























This may be the first spring ever that the Doublefile Viburnums have not been zapped. A bunch of the smaller ones were killed dead last year.





















The Emerald Spreader Japanese Yews are no where close to the deep green color they should be, but they are loaded with new buds ready to pop. They took a hard hit last spring and I wasn't sure they were going to make it. It's rated to zone 4. Yea. Ok fine. Whatever.





















The baby Stewartia pseudocamellia is leafed out. I'm not seeing any flower buds yet. I have found it quite common that plants will come from a nursery loaded with flowers and the next year or two nothing while they are settling in.



























These are some Nodding Trilliums I did not plant. I want the Trillium grandiflorum I did plant to spread like this. I want so many of them I can pull them as weeds.





















One little grasshopper chewed Birdsfoot Violet growing on despite the chewing.





















On the first day of May it was 38 degrees when I woke up. That is quite normal. The danger has not passed. It just better not. Things are too far along. It's almost time for the first path mowing. I want a no kill spring.


5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Here is to a no kill spring. I hope you get it. The garden looks so thankful for good weather.

Lola said...

Can't believe you killed the arborvitae. I did notice that the ones I sat out while there had been cut down. Guess they had gotten too big. Have you tried the
Lilies that grow here? I have quite a few if you want to try them. It is all looking good.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa this could be the spring where all goes well.

Lola I can't believe I killed arborvitae twice. Are you talking the Rain/Zephyr lilies? I planted some and they were never seen again. I do have a pot of them I store in the basement next door for the winter.

Lola said...

No, they look like the ones by your house. They get very tall & bloom towards the end of this month.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I don't think sending me lilies is worth the postage. Most every thing that I have brought from Florida has died, even Lycoris which are supposed to be hardy here. The Leucojum you gave have survived and bloomed though.